The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.

The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

We are now accepting clients statewide in Texas.


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients.

Our lawyers and paralegals are working in the office and electronically, although most of us are working from home. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

We also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

Court in Bexar County are now conducted by Zoom Please see our blog article Court via Zoom: It’s Actually, Really Court (and Here’s How It Works)

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working in house and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance



Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

How is same-sex marriage treated in Texas?

| Sep 30, 2014 | Family Law |

Family law addresses all family issues, ranging from divorce and child custody to domestic abuse and adoption. One issue of family law that has become particularly polarizing in recent years is the treatment of marriage, specifically same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage has been gaining a lot of positive momentum in the last few years. Currently, 19 states license same-sex marriage, and the legal battle is being waged in the courts of many other states, including Texas.

Until very recently, same-sex marriage was hardly even a talking point in Texas, with many in our state decrying the notion outright. Same-sex marriage was banned in Texas, and same-sex couples who were legally married in other states were not recognized as married couples in Texas. However, earlier this year, all of that changed when some homosexual couples decided to fight the battle that they believe must be fought.

Earlier this year, two homosexual males, who had been together for nearly two decades, decided to file a lawsuit against the state’s same-sex marriage ban. In February, a judge in one of Texas’ largest cities, San Antonio, sided with them. An appeal was quickly made, which has put the state of same-sex marriage in limbo. Currently the couple is preparing for a court hearing in New Orleans that is expected to take place sometime this year.

While there has been an outpouring of support for overthrowing the same-sex marriage ban, there are plenty who are against same-sex marriage as well. Currently, same-sex marriage remains banned in Texas, but there is hope for same-sex couples, who will likely be following the case very closely. By this time next year, same-sex marriage could be licensed and legal in our state. If you need assistance with a same-sex marriage, including having moved from another state to Texas, you may want to contact an attorney who is knowledgeable in that area of law.

Request A Consultation



FindLaw Network