${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
Se Habla Español
Click Here
View Our Practice Areas

What if my divorce agreement is no longer fair?

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns that nobody, neither courts nor divorcing couples, can see coming. Usually we simply roll with the punches and adjust to what life throws at us, but when the relationships we have with our former spouses and, more importantly, our children are put in jeopardy by these changes, things are not that simple. Fortunately for divorced individuals, the courts are not merciless, and there are policies in place that take these changing circumstances into consideration.

In the state of Texas, if you feel that your divorce agreement is no longer fair to your circumstances, you can file a petition to change the court order that was set during the original divorce proceedings. If the divorced parties are not in agreement about the changes, then the person filing must demonstrate that the changes have the child's best interests at heart. Children who are 12 years old or older can also confide in the judge which parent he or she would like to live with, and this could also affect the custody agreement.

Much like changing custody, divorced individuals can also modify their child support obligations. Depending on what you would like to request and what your situation is, the way you go about this modification may change, but consulting with an attorney who is familiar with Texas law can simplify the process. Additionally, you can read this article for more information.

Everyone who is involved in a divorce case in which there is a child wants what is best for that child. Complications arise when the parties involved have different ideas for what is best for the child, and it is up to the courts to make the final decision based on the information they are presented. If you can prove that the information has changed, you may be able to have your custody or support order modified.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lisa A. Vance Awards and Recognition.

Call Us – We Can Help

Call Today At 210-265-6277 Or Email To Schedule A Confidential Consultation.
Spanish translation services are available upon request.

See All Our Videos

We have a lot of information on our website. Please use the search bar like a library. Put in your main topic and find articles to help with your issue.

Request A Consultation

The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
814 North Alamo Street
Suite 1
San Antonio, TX 78215

Phone: 210-265-6277
Fax: 210-582-5878
San Antonio Office Map

Request A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy