The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.

The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

We are now accepting clients statewide in Texas.


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients.

Our lawyers and paralegals are working in the office and electronically, although most of us are working from home. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

We also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

Court in Bexar County are now conducted by Zoom Please see our blog article Court via Zoom: It’s Actually, Really Court (and Here’s How It Works)

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working in house and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance



Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

How Our Lawyers Can Help With Child Support Modification

| Jun 16, 2017 | Child Support, Child Support Modification, Decree Modification |

When a couple with children gets divorced, child support is a big part of the discussion and the decree. But that discussion can, and often does, continue even after the decree is entered.


A lot of that has to do with a person’s ability to pay the court-ordered child support as his or her circumstances change and income fluctuates. After all, people change jobs or might even become unemployed for a while. In some cases, parents don’t realize that the state is looking to get money from them for what might be previously owed.


Typically, modifications can be determined three years after the initial decree is signed, and in three-year increments after that. However, if circumstances change for the person paying child support–changing employment or becoming responsible for another child are the two main ones–a review can be requested and a modification can then be made.


There are a few different ways to reconcile child support issues. It’s certainly possible to go to court and argue it before a judge. It’s also possible to engage in what’s called the Child Support Review Process. This typically happens in an Office of the Attorney General’s Child Support Division Satellite Office, and involves parents agreeing on an amount in a conference with an OAG Child Support Officer, and then that agreement is taken to a judge to sign. My colleague (and wife) Durime Fahim recently wrote a blog article explaining the process–which included information about how a lawyer can help that process along.


It is also possible to use a lawyer to help file an agreement between the parents. If a couple can agree on a modification without using either the courts or the OAG, it can be more expeditious to use our Limited Scope services to draft and submit the modifications.


While some couples do need the courts or the OAG negotiation conferences to come to agreement, they also have to do so on those agencies’ schedules. Both the courts and OAG offices are overloaded with cases, and may need weeks or even months to get a couple on the schedule.


If you are looking for a child support modification, or you have an ex-spouse who is seeking modification, it can help to talk to one of the experienced family lawyers at the Law Office of Lisa Vance to know which option might be best for you, your timetable, and your situation.


Request A Consultation



FindLaw Network