The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.

The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

We are now accepting clients statewide in Texas.


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients.

Our lawyers and paralegals are working in the office and electronically, although most of us are working from home. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

We also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

Court in Bexar County are now conducted by Zoom Please see our blog article Court via Zoom: It’s Actually, Really Court (and Here’s How It Works)

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working in house and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance



Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

When a couple arrives at a divorce decree — be it through mutual agreement or through a court’s determination — it’s not necessarily the final word on that couple’s legal responsibilities. That’s especially true with child support, as people’s circumstances and employment will change over the years.

It’s quite possible that where you work and how much money you make has changed from ten years ago, five years ago, or even three years ago. The Texas Family Code accounts for that reality, and makes change possible.

In Texas, child support is determined via a guideline of what the obligor makes, how many children the obligor and obligee have together, and how many other children the obligor is responsible for. An obligor is often responsible for providing child support until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes later.

This calculator on the state’s Office of the Attorney General site is a good tool for determining that, and factors in those who are paid hourly, a salaried amount, or are self-employed.

The decree can also be changed if the obligor can show there has been a “material and substantial change in circumstances.” As the OAG website details, this typically encompasses at least one of these four items:

  • The noncustodial parent’s income has either increased or decreased,
  • The noncustodial parent is legally responsible for additional children,
  • The child(ren)’s medical insurance coverage has changed, or
  • The child(ren)’s living arrangements have changed.

Modification of the decree can happen one of two ways. If the couple can come to an agreement over how the decree should be modified, they can go through a process to have the agreement made enforceable. If the parties can’t come to an agreement, a motion can be filed in court, and the matter would be resolved via a hearing before a judge.

There are other reasons to modify a decree as well. If one parent moves, especially if it’s outside of 100 miles from the other parent, parenting time may change as a result.

Schedules might also change. A non-custodial parent with parenting time on a Thursday night might seek to switch to Wednesday to accommodate a new job, for example. In cases like this, it’s certainly easier for the parents to handle those changes via mutual agreement rather than changing the decree. The decree is typically set up to serve as the default when parents can’t mutually agree to a change. But if the parents can’t agree, and it’s a question of changing the decree vs. losing parenting time, a motion can be filed.

We know, from our experience in filing motions to modify decrees, that items that seem small to an outsider can be incredibly important to the person seeking the modification. In those situations, we can help you with your strategy, and help you file on your behalf. We understand, after all, that even the best-crafted divorce decree may not anticipate the twists and turns that life for you, your ex, and your children may take.

Request A Consultation



FindLaw Network