The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.

The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

We are now accepting clients statewide in Texas.


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients.

Our lawyers and paralegals are working in the office and electronically, although most of us are working from home. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

We also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

Court in Bexar County are now conducted by Zoom Please see our blog article Court via Zoom: It’s Actually, Really Court (and Here’s How It Works)

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working in house and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance



Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

What steps can Texas take in child support enforcement?

| Oct 25, 2019 | Child Support, Child Support Modification |

It happens to a surprising number of parents. They have the best intentions for paying child support, but then something happens that gets in the way of that. In some cases, a parent loses a job, and even with unemployment, there might not be enough to make ends meet and keep child support obligations. In some cases, there might be a medical emergency that not only creates a new financial obligation, but makes it impossible for the parent to work for a time.

In Texas, the Office of the Attorney General recommends that a parent who faces a temporary hardship contact the Child Support Division to inform them. Just taking that step won’t reduce the child support obligation. It takes a court order to make that happen. But if the OAG isn’t notified, it can step in and take enforcement steps. According to its website, those steps include:

· suspending your drivers, professional and hunting and fishing licenses

· denying a new passport or passport renewal

· filing a lien on properties, bank accounts, retirement plans, life insurance plans, personal injury claims, insurance settlements or awards and other assets

· reporting the amount of child support owed and the amount paid to credit reporting agencies

It’s even possible that it gets to the civil or criminal contempt level. As the site notes:

In civil contempt cases, the court will assess a specific number of days and/or a fine for each missed payment. The sentence must be served even if full payment is made.

In criminal contempt cases, an obligor is sentenced to jail until he/she complies with the court order. The order usually states the obligor is to pay a certain amount called the “purge” amount or pay all of the unpaid child support.

Because child support is a court-ordered payment, it’s not something to be ignored or put off. While the above steps might not be taken by the OAG initially, those options are available, and can make a challenging financial situation even more challenging.

If you know that you need to change the court order – for example, if you’ve had to take a lower-paying job and need your child support obligation adjusted – it can be negotiated with your ex in an OAG-overseen negotiation. If your ex is unwilling to work out a deal, then it would require a judge’s intervention to change your decree.

The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance has worked with parents who have trouble meeting child support obligations to get them lowered. We’re happy to talk to you about your options as well as how to go about filing a decree modification. While you should let the OAG know if you can’t make your obligations, you want to make sure that your obligations reflect what you can and should pay. We can help you figure out what that is and get you to that new amount as soon as possible.

Request A Consultation



FindLaw Network