To Our Clients and Colleagues:


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients. Our doors are open; we have lawyers and paralegals on site and until we are instructed differently, we will work here, and electronically. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home. Whilst you are welcome to come here, we also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, we are open, and your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can come in for a conference, or email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

The Texas courts are adjusting regular operations and most non-emergency hearings are being rescheduled. There are cases that will not be brought to a judge for a while. “Essential Matters” will, however, be heard. Those that cannot go to court are, nonetheless, being handled with electronic solutions and we will be able to seek judicial protection where needed. Here is the link to the most current Bexar county orders:

Most other counties have issued similar protocol. Please speak with your attorney to assess what this will mean for your case.

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working at our office and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance

Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

Why Do Out of Pocket Child Support Payments Count?

Let’s say you’ve recently finalized your divorce, and you have to start making child support payments. Rather than go through the OAG’s office, you decide to make payments directly to your ex-spouse. That might seem faster and easier than going through the child support disbursement process—and your ex will certainly get the money sooner—you’re potentially setting yourself up for a giant headache later on.

If you pay your ex out of pocket, the OAG won’t know it, and will treat you as if you haven’t made payments, which could lead to wage garnishments and penalties. You can fill out a form that credits you for payments you’ve made directly to your ex, but your ex must sign it to acknowledge that he or she has received the payments. And, if your ex disputes it, the burden of proof will be on you to show the OAG’s office that you’ve made payments to your ex.

The best way to avoid this is pay directly through the state once your decree becomes official. Even if you have a good enough relationship with your ex where he or she will vouch for payments you’ve made directly, you’re creating more work for yourself, and relying on your ex to keep vouching for payments.

The state sets up disbursement in large part to credit you for the child support payments you’re making—making it easier to prove you’re making the payments you say you have. This can be especially useful down the road, if you find yourself seeking a modification or if your ex seeks enforcement.