${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
Se Habla Español
Click Here
View Our Practice Areas

Out of pocket child support payments - do they count?



Let's say you've recently finalized your divorce, and you have to start making child support payments. Rather than go through the OAG's office, you decide to make payments directly to your ex-spouse. That might seem faster and easier than going through the child support disbursement process--and your ex will certainly get the money sooner--you're potentially setting yourself up for a giant headache later on.

If you pay your ex out of pocket, the OAG won't know it, and will treat you as if you haven't made payments, which could lead to wage garnishments and penalties. You can fill out a form that credits you for payments you've made directly to your ex, but your ex must sign it to acknowledge that he or she has received the payments. And, if your ex disputes it, the burden of proof will be on you to show the OAG's office that you've made payments to your ex.


The best way to avoid this is pay directly through the state once your decree becomes official. Even if you have a good enough relationship with your ex where he or she will vouch for payments you've made directly, you're creating more work for yourself, and relying on your ex to keep vouching for payments.


The state sets up disbursement in large part to credit you for the child support payments you're making--making it easier to prove you're making the payments you say you have. This can be especially useful down the road, if you find yourself seeking a modification or if your ex seeks enforcement.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lisa A. Vance Awards and Recognition.

Call Us – We Can Help

Call Today At 210-265-6277 Or Email To Schedule A Confidential Consultation.
Spanish translation services are available upon request.

See All Our Videos

We have a lot of information on our website. Please use the search bar like a library. Put in your main topic and find articles to help with your issue.

Request A Consultation

The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.
814 North Alamo Street
Suite 1
San Antonio, TX 78215

Phone: 210-265-6277
Fax: 210-582-5878
San Antonio Office Map

Request A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy