The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C.

The Path to Your Piece of Mind
Divorce and Family Law Matters

We are now accepting clients statewide in Texas.


As the situation with COVID-19 continues to develop and evolve, the safety, health and well-being of our clients and our team is extremely important to us. We are watching for the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and international medical experts to learn how we can best manage our facility and our clients.

We would like to reassure you that The Law Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. will continue to be available to provide services to all of our clients.

Our lawyers and paralegals are working in the office and electronically, although most of us are working from home. Below is a list of FAQs regarding our response and commitment to you during COVID-19.

Can I even have a consultation with my lawyer remotely?

Yes, The Office of Lisa A. Vance, P.C. has a comprehensive remote working capability and all of our lawyers and paralegals are equipped to work securely from home.

Will my lawyer be available to answer questions and work on my case?

Yes, your legal matters will continue to receive our attention. You can email, call, or videoconference with your lawyer during this time.

We also have multiple videoconferencing options; please contact your attorney for the platform that works best for you

How are court hearings and appointments affected?

Court in Bexar County are now conducted by Zoom Please see our blog article Court via Zoom: It’s Actually, Really Court (and Here’s How It Works)

Can I consult with a lawyer about a new family law or divorce matter?

Yes, we have office staff working in house and remotely to ensure continuity in our business. For information about a family law or divorce matter, please call our office or complete the Request a Consultation Form.

Your family law matters remain our top concern and we are not going to permit this pandemic to take priority over your needs. We will remain confident, alert and prepared.

We wish you and your family well as we work through this difficult situation together.

With warm regards,
Lisa A Vance



Family Law
Click For More

Rest of Life
Click For More

How do I deal with a default judgment if I’m facing one?

| Sep 14, 2018 | Default Judgments |

The first thing to know about a default judgment, if that’s something you’re facing, is how your case got to that point. It typically involves a defendant who hasn’t responded to a summons from a judge or has failed to appear before a court of law when required.

These typically don’t happen in family law – in divorce and in child custody cases, both parties will have a vested interest in the case, and they’ll know it’s important to show up in court to assert their claims. However, in some child support cases, if the parent owing is failing to make payments per the court order, then a default judgment is a mechanism available should that parent refuse to respond to requests to make payments.

The best thing to do in a default judgment situation, especially when it comes to child support enforcement, is to not let it get to that point. If you’re a parent in Texas who has lost a job or experienced some other hardship making it difficult to pay child support, it’s possible to contact the Office of the Attorney General’s Child Support Division and seek to set an alternative plan in motion, to arrange for you to conference with your ex-spouse to modify your decree, or to contact a family lawyer and file a motion for modification to be settled in court.

Should time be of the essence, a family lawyer will most likely be able to provide you a more expedient resolution than the OAG would. The OAG does great work, but they have a great number of cases and limited resources for dealing with those cases. When you’re hiring a family lawyer, one of the reasons you’re doing so is to have more control over the timeline.

At the Law Office of Lisa Vance, we have the experience and the ability to get your motion for modification on the docket, helping you perhaps to resolve your case sooner than if you were to go the OAG conference route. It’s incumbent on the parent owing child support to do so, though – the inability to pay doesn’t absolve you of your responsibility to pay, and until a modification is made, the amount required per the decree is what you’re legally required to pay.

Request A Consultation



FindLaw Network